Northwest District Counseling Ministries exists to support the Conference’s mission and vision by providing counseling resources and programs to help heal and strengthen our pastors, congregations and communities. Counseling Ministries is led by Robin Ewy, MA, LPC. She is a licensed therapist in Missouri in private practice and is on staff at Gashland United Methodist Church for Connections. If you have questions regarding this ministry, please contact Robin at 816-286-7971 or email@example.com.
Looking for help?
Click here for the Current Resource List - Updated 12/13/17
As a reminder, this resource list a living document that will change and grow as we discover new resources. In an attempt to monitor the effectiveness of Counseling Ministries, please consider the following follow up process:
- Person presents with mental health need (individual, couple, family, group counseling)
- If pastor determines referral is appropriate, he/she provides list of resources to person and notifies Robin at firstname.lastname@example.org that referral was made. To protect confidentiality, no names will be shared.
- Counseling resources will be encouraged to notify Robin if a referral was made through Northwest District Counseling Ministries.
Good Shepherd UMC
Gladstone Campuse at 2800 NE 63rd Street, Gladstone, MO 64119
Grief Group - September 20th at 7:00 - 8:30 PM
Laura Couch and Denise McPherson will be co-leading a grief group that will meet the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays this fall. The group will meet at 7 pm starting September 20 in the multi-purpose room at Gladstone. Laura and Denise have both experienced significant loss, each having lost their teenage sons. They offer a lot of experience and knowledge about working through grief. This will be a support group that will share and learn from one another. This is open to anyone who is yearning to connect with others who are also in the midst of grief. Childcare is provided.
To register for this group: http://goodshepherdkc.com/event/grief-group/2017-09-20/
First United Methodist Church of Kearney
1000 E State Route 92, Kearney, MO 64060 - 816-628-556
WEEKLY ADULT GROUPS
- Kearney AA Group: Tuesdays 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Fellowship Center - Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with others so they may overcome their problems with alcohol. The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking. Contact: Greg Cox email@example.com
- Taking Steps in Loss and Life: Tuesdays 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm, Classroom 5 - Losing a loved one is hard. Together we will talk about our loss and how to cope with the absence of our loved one. This group offers a safe and caring environment to find support, empowerment and hope. Contact: Sherry Oxandale 816-628-5560 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Foster/Adoptive Support: Day, time and room to be determined - This group will serve as a support group for families within our congregation who are foster/respite/or adoptive parents or who are interested in becoming foster care providers. The group will meet monthly for fellowship, networking, prayer and support. We will discuss ways to support one another as well as opportunities for our group to serve other foster/respite/or adoptive families within our community. Contact: Jaime Pinney email@example.com or Amber Schneider firstname.lastname@example.org
MONTHLY ADULT GROUPS
- MOPS: Mothers of Preschoolers: Third Thursdays, 9:30-11:30 am - *A welcoming and open environment for moms * Mentoring and leadership development opportunities * Time for creative activities * Valuable teachings and lessons * And best of all, childcare during meetings (MOPS Kids). Contact: Kara Blackwell email@example.com or 949-273-9330
- Cancer Support Group: Third Sunday each month 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm, Classroom 5 - Having cancer is one of the most stressful experiences in a person's life. This group is a safe place to share feelings and challenges while learning from others facing cancer. Join us if you are currently in treatment or have finished treatment. We will use the book Cancer, Now What? by Kenneth C. Haugk. Contacts: VeldaMcMorris 816-863-6347 or firstname.lastname@example.org and Cheryl Morris 816-804-0354 or email@example.com
Platte Woods UMC
7310 NW Prairie View Road, Platte Woods, MO 64151 - Phone: 816-741-2972
Platte Woods UMC provides an assortment of support groups and classes on Thursday evenings. these groups are open to church members as well as the community. Register for childcare. Our director of Counseling Ministries, Vicki Krehbiel, M.S., L.P.C., oversees these activities.
For information about these groups: http://plattewoodschurch.org/care/
- Hope & Healing - This is an open, on-going support group. New members are welcome at any time. This group is led by Counseling Intern Stephanie Womack. Stephanie’s passion is to provide hope to those whose journey has taken a challenging turn. Far too often we consider healing to be a task that goes at the bottom of our “To-Do” list. Stephanie’s group is welcoming and hope-filled. It is designed to be a space where spiritual and emotional healing are a priority. Take some time for you. Bring a friend. See what happens to the rest of your “To-Do” list when healing becomes a priority. This group meets September 7-December 7.
- Grief Support Group - This support group will begin September 28 and run through November 16, 6:30 to 8:00 pm. Colleen Van Nostran and Adele Huff are your companions for this healing journey. Whatever the loss, Colleen and Adele are prepared to listen. Please register early so we can be sure to have a book for you. Register online for this group.
- Finding Time for Stress Relief - This class will meet September 28-November 16, 6:30 to 8:00 pm. This class is led by two experienced Care Ministry Volunteers, Lori Dunlap and Sharmalee Pauling. Lori & Sharmalee have been providing leadership in Depression and Anxiety groups for over two years. This year Gloria Hill will join them as their assistant. They will provide fun and innovative ideas on how to relieve stress in your life. There is no cost for the class and workbooks are provided. Register today!
- Empty/Emptying Nesters Fellowship - Sept 21 @ 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm - Are you missing the duty of chauffeuring your child to and from various sports activities or music lessons? Now that you don’t have to attend games and recitals are you feeling a little lost as to what to do with your time? Now that the loads of laundry are smaller and it takes less time to empty the dishwasher do you have more energy but you’re not sure what to do with it? Have we got an idea for you! Join Pastor Steve and Cindy Breon as they help us launch a monthly fellowship for Empty or Emptying Nesters! Explore the opportunities that lie ahead as you rediscover your faith, your personal identity, and your new family identity now that your children are launching from home. Join us Thursday September 21 for the Launching of our newest ministry. The Empty/Emptying Nesters Fellowship will meet from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. Register today.
- PICK-How to Pick a Partner - This class is sponsored by Cornerstones of Care. It runs October 19-November 16, 6:30 to 8:30 pm. It helps singles choose the right partner for a happy, stable relationship. It teaches single adults five key things to look for as they explore potential relationships. Free Child Care! Gift Cards for Everyone! Snacks provided! Register by contacting Cornerstones of Care toll free at 855-778-5437 or firstname.lastname@example.org is hard.